Saturday, September 15, 2012

So Long, Sweet Summer.

So long, summer. It's been real.
...Real hot out too, which meant that I had a phenomenal bronze tinge to my skin, my Ipod was full of sassy New Jack Swing, I ate a truckload of strawberries and raspberries, and I read every magazine in current existence (and some vintage ones, too!). We went to fun parties, and spent a few nights out on the town with exciting cocktails and bruised knees. Quite frankly, summer 2012 ruled.

And my hair? Dear lord, that shit has been on point this year. Most summers, I spend with braided/subsequently waved hair blowing all over the place. This year, I perfected heat-less styling, which sounds much less of an achievement than it actually is. You try to iron your hair while it's a million degrees out. No dice. Meltdown city.

I had tried, and failed, at about a dozen different summer styles over the years, and that's when I discovered rag curls, bitch. Also, the lifesaver of all lifesavers- it looks good when it's drying AND when you let it down- the sock bun. Both involve strips of old clothes, and a solid bottle of mousse, and that's it. I had video-ho curls almost every time I left the house this year.

One of the kids at work told me that my hair is too light for my age, and sometimes I agree, but there is going to be a time in my life when I'm I am going to wish my disgusting grey locks would just turn blonde again. Every time I go to get my haircut, I anxiously ask if the stylist can see any grey hair yet. I'm terrified that my hair is such a shade that I will not notice as my hair silvers, and will wake up one morning and realize that I have been grey for years. My stylist thinks I have severe personal issues, which is seriously only half true.

Once, in the middle of an identity crisis, I died my hair red and cut it short. I don't know what I was even trying to accomplish, but if it was "making my face look unnecessarily chubby", then it served it's purpose. Luckily, my hair refuses to hold dye, and I eat enough Jell-O that it grows unusually fast. I also learned of the pitfalls of Sun-In a few summers later. Here's a hot tip: Sun-In was made for trailer moms, 80's teens, and Vince Neil's girlfriends, and that's all. I can't take my current hair situation for granted, y'all.

Honestly, I'm overjoyed when my hair changes from it's winter hue. All too soon I will be trying to figure out how to hold a style under a hood while running between cocktail joints in a blizzard. Enjoy it while it lasts, kid. That and popsicles. Those don't hold up past Halloween.

~sarah p.

p.s. Can we all stop wearing orange lipstick now? I know did it all summer, but secretly, I didn't like it.
p.p.s. This mix was on heavy rotation all summer:

DJ Nasty - New Jack Swing - Tribute Mix from Psyk on Vimeo.

No comments: