Saturday, February 20, 2010

White gold.

If sugar isn't an essential part of our diet, then why do I feel like I need it so much?
I don't know what's wrong with me, why can't I love something good for me, like tofu or books or colonics, as much as I love Popeye candy cigarettes (my bad, 'candy sticks'), and Tropical Runts? My blood is probably 40% high-fructose corn syrup by now; it won't be long before I'm some sort of human-gummi hybrid.

It's Creme Egg time again, and it couldn't have come a moment too soon.
By October, I've combed every dingy mini-mart in this city for the last of the eggs. I'm not even a big chocolate fan, but by December every year, I'm waking up with night-sweats because I need to feel that familiar sticky foil wrapper in my hands.

I've tried to stay away from the Sour Skittles and gummi snakes, but I just can't. Even when I say I'm trying to watch what I'm eating, I'm still sneaking extra mints into my pocket at the restaurant and eating them when nobody is looking, or when I'm in the bathroom 'freshening up'.

My biggest indulgence, however, is foreign candy. Does the grape gum at the Asian supermarket taste much different from the 99-cent Hubba Bubba at Sev? I will gladly pay the $4.50 to find out. Sometimes it tastes like garbage, but once in a while, it pays off! The Japanese have a fascination with combining about eight different types of candy into one; perhaps a choco-fizz-melon-gummi-chew-bar isn't for everyone, but it certainly strikes my fancy. What a steal at only $6.75... And yet I drop the cash every time.

Sugar. Worst enemy? Best friend?
I used to try to fight my sucrose addiction, but who was I kidding? Human-gummi hybrids need that shit to live, son.

xo
~sarah p.

p.s. My other new addiction? This night! Mandeep & Pump together? Daaaaaammnnn.

No comments: