Sunday, July 08, 2012

Hello, Summer!

After months of chilly rainstorms, summer has decided to make a solid appearance in this city.
I live all year in anticipation of days where it is too hot to do anything but eat rocket pops in the yard, and dream of having an outdoor pool. There's so much to do around the house right now, but I am totally certain my time is best spent thumbing through foreign magazines, slathering myself in coconut oil, and trying to get away with as little clothing as possible. Sometimes, if it gets too warm, I take a cool bath or hang out in the refrigerated section at the grocery store, but mostly, I take a lesson from the dog and cat, and move from sunny spot to sunny spot all day long. I am not a religious person in the least, but I have an unwavering belief in the power of hot weather that comes close to sacerdotal.
I often remind myself that in the dead of winter, there is nothing that I will want with greater passion in the entire world than to be roasting on my front step with a blender drink and a full supply of Vitamin D.
I am truly a better person when the temperature rises. I stop feeling sorry for myself, I don't worry as much, I don't work as hard, and my skin and hair look phenomenal and unfussy for once. Actually, you know what? Maybe they don't look phenomenal after all. Maybe I'm just too hot to care.
The housework can wait, I can eat popsicles for dinner for days on end, and I am genuinely unconcerned with the harmful aspects of sun exposure (sue me). This is the one time of year I can say I'm happy, and nothing else really matters.
All too soon, the first flake of snow will be falling to the ground, and I don't ever want to feel like I ever, ever took this beautiful weather for granted. Happy summer, friends. Enjoy it while it lasts.

With love,

~sarah p.

No comments: