Monday, June 11, 2007

Not too hard, not too soft.


With the official start of summer just ten days away, I've been thinking a lot about the little details that could turn it from a good summer to a great summer.

You know, the little things. For example, things have been going fairly smoothly in menswear for the past little while. I really, genuinely like the outfits that guys have been throwing together, but they're all pretty much the same outfits as last year (don't believe me, go check your photos from last summer.. See?). Perhaps this summer, the fellas of the world may want to consider some outfits straight outta another period in time. Gentlemen, say hello to the Motownphilly look.

Now, stop yourself before you go and pull out your cuffed easy-fit jeans, blazers and low Doc Martens with matching leather belts. We're not at a 7th grade dance in 1992, and that's not the look you're going for. I'm talking about outfit #2 in the video, with the preppy sweaters, the brand-new New Eras, and the motherfucking bowties. I'll leave the bottom-half up to you, because the early 90's had nothing on denim-wear, but I think the look should probably end with the freshest kicks ever at your feet (might I suggest these multi-metallic Court Forces that I kind-of love with my whole heart?). I guess any shoes are fine so long as they aren't square-toed or any form of sandal. I guess.

Point is, how is anyone ever supposed to have a bad summer when you're walking around like you just got promoted to the head of the Faculty of Freshness at Harvard? They can't.

My question to you is:
What kind of outfits can girls pull together to have the same impact? Where do the ladies go from here? Early-90's womenswear was fucking brutal, and I'm sure as hell not going to walk around looking like Whitley Wayne (or am I?).

~sarah p.

No comments: