Thursday, November 02, 2006

Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta.

The year was 1999. When I wasn't busy rocking the shit out The Miseducation of Lauren Hill, or being a young ruffian fresh outta high school, I was watching Office Space.
"What are you doing tonight, Sarah?" "Watching Office Space, duh."

It made me laugh, plain and simple. Although I couldn't relate at the time, it was really entertaining to see Mike Judge poke fun at all of the foibles of office life. It wasn't until I grew up (a little) and got an office job that I realized that Office Space, although still funny, was honestly more fact than fiction.

I'll never forget the first day I got a call from head office, scolding me for faxing pages in an improper order (sorry, guys). I sat back in my chair when the phonecall was done, and had an epiphany. Suddenly I wanted to go all Michael Bolton on my fax machine (and my printer, and my computer, and my copier, and my 500 phone-lines). I wanted to slack as much a humanly possible. Want me to come in this Saturday? I'm just not gonna answer my phone (thank you, caller ID).

Is this adulthood? Perhaps.

~sarah p.

p.s. Have you ever had a hot dog from Orange Julius? So good, I almost couldn't taste all of the pig ass.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This scene is constantly running thru my head.