Thursday, March 01, 2007

Billz, billz, billz.

In my whole life, I've never, ever thought about money as much as I've thought about money in the past month or so. This morning, I stood in lineup with my lotto ticket in my hand, hoping that somehow I'd actually see some payoff for once. With my pending adulthood staring me in the face (I'm moving into my very own place, and am looking for a new job), now would be the time to have a little extra money come my way. Truth be told, if I ever won the lotto, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Growing up in a middle-class family, I didn't know the joys of having a ton of extra cash, and that trend has carried-over into adulthood. I always imagine that if I won a bunch of money, I'd try to swim around in it like Scrooge McDuck, then I'd probably become more of a frivolous spender than most rappers after their first hit single.

The mall lotto ticket lady and I don't have a very good relationship.... I'm pretty sure she's mocking me all the time. Every time I put my ticket up on the counter, she makes strange faces at me and puts my ticket through the machine. Then, like always, she says to me "Back to work!", and the 40 old people standing around me laugh and laugh like it's the funniest joke in the world (sorry, old people, at least I can eat solid foods without worrying about my dentures, and don't have to wear any form of "protective undergarment").

Usually, I just slink away and go off to worry about paying rent and bills and still having money for "adventures", but instead, I bought a scratch ticket today. I took it back to the office, scratched that motherfucker like it was my job. Guess what? I won a whole two dollars. I'm pretty excited about going to see the lotto lady again, throwing my ticket up on the counter. Two dollars, please (and don't even try to get sassy with me).

Now... Here's the big question: Do I keep the two dollars, or do I spend the money on another ticket?

~sarah p.

p.s. I'm doing my taxes tonight... I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to pay, but stranger things have happened. Wish me luck!

No comments: