Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Sophisticate.

The company that pays me has been taken over by a huge American corporation (don't even ask me how I feel about this).
Last night, I had to go to an evening meet-and-greet with the head honchos at the Sheraton. I walked into the conference room, and there was a guy with a tray of appetizers. Score!
So there I was, eating mini egg-rolls like it was going out of style, when I saw that one of the bigwigs was holding a glass with a familiar stalk of celery poking out of the top.... A Caesar.
I looked up, and knew I was in trouble. Uh-oh. An evening meeting with people I don't even like, and an open bar.
I started chugging wine like it was my job. I didn't care that it was some shitty jug-wine, it was making the meeting a lot more interesting. Then, when we were served dinner (not great food, by the way, and I know the difference), they started going around the table and actually directly serving me wine, which means I didn't even have to get up.
Before I knew it, it was harder and harder for me to keep my mouth shut. The tough part about being an adult is that sometimes you have to play it cool when you don't want to. It's not easy to discuss optometrics with a bunch of 40-year-olds when you're a little sauced, but I think I handled myself pretty well, considering. Or did I?



This is what I thought I looked like (except for with a way funner outfit, and you know.... Not asian).

This is probably more like how I actually looked:

Maybe from now on, I'll be a little more careful at meetings (or get a job where it's a little more acceptable to be wasted at a meeting. Perhaps something in the oil field?).

~sarah p.

No comments: