Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Real Mr. Noodle: A Eulogy

Last week, Momofuko Ando, the inventor of instant ramen passed away at the ripe old age of 96. For some unknown reason, I was not invited to his funeral (probably something to do with the big scene I caused when I attended the funeral of the dude that invented Hot Pockets), but since Mr. Ando affected my life in so many ways, I prepared a eulogy anyway:
Hey fella,
Thanks for using that massive brain of yours to invent something that pretty much sustained me the entire time I was a student.
39 cents for a meal? Fucking ridiculous. Before ramen came along, I would have had to eat out of the garbage if I wanted a meal for 39 cents (because that's how much the hobos would have charged me for a garbage finder's fee).
To this day I'm shocked that I didn't get worms from eating so much cheap soup, yet I remain worm-free. I attribute this to all of the love that was put into inventing instant ramen.
With all of the greasy, sodium-based broth I ingested, I probably lost a good five years off of my life, but those years come off of the end (AKA-the crap years), so it doesn't even matter anyway.
Sure, years of forcing myself to eat instant dinners has actually made me kind-of hate the taste of ramen, but in the scheme of things, I probably am still alive today because you put a brick of dried noodles and a foil packet of msg together.

Rest in peace, you crazy bastard. Curry beef was the best flavor.

~sarah p.

p.s. Sweet and sour pork stamps? Looks like it's time for me to pack up and move to China if that's how things are going down around there.

No comments: