Tuesday, November 16, 2004

A sad weekend.

Like I said in a previous post, my great-grandmother is close to passing away. We flew to Ontario this weekend to say our final good-byes. She really isn't coherent anymore, and I'm sure she didn't understand why a bunch of strange people were hugging her and crying. Grandma is to the point where she doesn't know anyone anymore, not even her own children. She had one moment where she actually knew what was going on (which, we were informed, hasn't happened in a very long time). My mom walked up to her in the hospital and said "Hi, do you know who I am?" and grandma replied "No."
My mom said "I'm Nowel...Do you know who Nowel is?"
My grandma said "You're my grand-daughter".
Of course, the whole family was bawling by this point, as she hadn't said anything remotley coherent in months. She forgot who my mom was about 2 minutes later, but we still had that one moment.
Grandma is 86, and lived a very good life. She raised my mom as her daughter, and has been about the best grandma in the world. Although it was a sad ocassion, she would not want us to be upset. She says it is time for her to pass away, and my family is trusting her instinct.
We spent the weekend taking care of her, and we know she won't be able to remember it now, but when she finally passes away, I hope she's somewhere where she can realize how much she was loved.

To be fair, the weekend was not all sad....The whole thing was a bit stressful, so we had to have a bit of fun. I'll post photos and tell stories tomorrow.

No comments: