Monday, November 15, 2004

Wednesday Night!

So, I had a pretty gosh-darned good night at Cherry Lounge on Wednesday. I had forgotten how much fun I could have there. DJ Pump played a good set, and DJ Rice was in his finest form (as always). However, they let this other guy spin as well between sets. This other guy, well...He wasn't the greatest. He gets on the decks, and automatically starts spinning these obscure 80's tunes. Not just one or two, but a whole bunch. Usually, DJs will throw on a song or two that makes you say "Wow! This guy is a huge crate-digger....Where the hell did he find this song?" Any more than a few, and you're just going "For the love of everything holy, put on a new song!" Keep in mind, these songs were played between two full-on house sets. Here's a little guideline to spinning obscure 80's songs in the middle of a house set:

One obscure 80's song = Perfect, makes the next "new" song sound 100 times better.
Two obscure 80's songs = Still okay.
Three obscure 80's songs = You're pushing it.
More than three obscure 80's songs = Shouldn't be allowed.

One good thing came out of this: the unknown DJ had a huge mohawk....Mohawks make me a little tingly, as they bring back some of the best memories of the summer.

There is one thing that obscure 80's songs are good for: making the next new song sound like heaven. After about 10 songs, Rice got back on the decks and started spinning a house mix of a Lucy Pearl song, and it sounded like the best song I had ever heard in my life (although the vodka and Red Bull may have also had something to do with that).

It was a great night, although I didn't feel to great in the morning when I got on the plane (will write about my weekend tomorrow).

Night!

No comments: