Saturday, January 01, 2005

New Year's Photo Extravaganza!

New Year's Eve didn't turn out anything like I expected. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast, but it was totally, totally different than planned.

So, I got home at about 9 from work. I had been drinking at work since about 5, so I was already a bit tipsy. I got in the bath, and changed my clothes, and drank some more. Allison got to my house at 10:45, and we were going to go to a party. However, the party was supposed to be at Ryan's house (the same place as the classic Halloween party, check back in the October archives for photos), and Ryan decided to move. Who the hell moves on New Year's Eve? Anyway, so we were still supposed to meet up with Shannon and Shawn. We call Shawn, and he picks up his phone,and tells us he's at a party. The problem? He's so unbelievably wasted that he doesn't know where he is. We talk to Shannon, and she's not quite sure either, so we agree to meet up at Denny's at 4AM (this plan fell through as well when we got way too sauced to even phone a cab).
So then, I remember that there's a party not too far from my house that we can go to. A bunch of people from work were going to be there, and I like almost everyone from work. Almost everyone. There's this one girl who would definitely be there, and she sucks at life. She's mean, and cranky, and clingy. I decided that I didn't want to risk having to hang out with her all night.

So, with all of our plans in the gutter, we decided that if we weren't going to go out to any parties, then we better have a mini party at my house. This is when I started drinking hard. Allison calls this dude she knows, and he heads over, and the three of us had a fantastic time. Oh, yeah, and the clock struck midnight somewhere in there. No New Year's kiss for me this year, but New Year's kisses sometimes lead to other shit that you might regret later (Not that it's ever happened before) . So, no New Year's "mistakes" this year. Allison, you should be proud of me.

Highlights of the night included:

-The best new drink sensation, Bailey's and Amaretto on the rocks. Yeeeaaaa Boyeeeee.
-Going out for a run in my backyard in the snow (it was -27 last night!).
-Playing "experimental bartender". I felt like I was in high school.
-Allison and I deciding that we should become plumbers.
-Dancing around to some Tribe Called Quest, MC Chris, Pharcyde, and Hieroglyphics. If I can't swim when I'm wasted, dancing is the next best thing. I miss the lake (Nicole, I'm winking in your direction).
-Allison calling Chris and Shauna's answering machine and leaving the worst "Happy New Year" message I've ever heard.

Fun times.

I am not feeling too well today, I drank like a fish last night, and was not a "smart drinker". Usually, when I go out drinking, I stick with gin and tonic. Anyone who has spent time with me at Ditto's knows that I can pack away massive amounts of gin and tonic without much of a hangover the next day. However, last night I drank 2 bottles of champagne, a beer, Bailey's and Amaretto, and for good measure (and to show some respect to the greatest bartender in the world, Mad Dog), I made myself a good cup of sauce. For those who don't know, when you go to Ditto's (my nightly hangout in Connecticut), you walk up to the bar and say "Make me some sauce." You don't know what Mad Dog is going to pour into your cup, but it will be 98% booze, and it almost always tastes delicious. Now, I'm not a genius, so I couldn't re-create the infamous "Jug of Pink Sauce", but I did pretty well. I poured 2 of my little bottles of whiskey in my hulk cup. Then, I added rum, Chambord, and iced tea. Not too shabby.

I really have to fight this hangover, my family always has a big meal on New Year's (New Year's is our big family holiday), and they've made it very clear that I must get sauced tonight. My sister is still in BC, so she'll miss the meal, which kinda sucks. However, it's pretty nice to have the house all to myself.

Okay, must go have a bath, which is a New Year's tradition in our family. When I tell people about it, they look at me like I'm crazy (moreso than usual). Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Before I go, let's talk about my New Year's resolution (there's a quick story behind this one).
So, about 6 years ago, I found the best pair of snowpants that has ever existed at a thrift store. They were metallic teal green, someone had hemmed them to exactly my height, and there was a huge button on the front that held them all together. They had been sewn together so many times that they looked like frankenstein snowpants. In other words, they were beautiful. I began to wear them everywhere. Need to go to the store? Okay, just let me put on my snowpants.

So, at the time I was living with my mom and sister. They hated the snowpants. They would sometimes steal them and hide them in the freezer, but I would always find them and wear them even more for spite. I wore them all the time for probably 3 months, and then they fell apart. It was a sad, sad day.

Anyway, so my New Year's resolution is to find the second-best snowpants that have ever existed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Sarah
This is Tyler. I sent you a picture of a very adorable camper to remind you of camp. Hope you enjoy.

~sarah p. said...

Tyler, that photo is quite possibly the cutest thing ever. Thanks! BTW, I'm wicked jealous about your film scanner.