Saturday, December 11, 2004

A pretty decent night.

When I was growing up in Calgary, I always thought about how badly I wanted to leave. I said that it was a boring city, and there was nothing there for me. Tonight, I officially retract my statement. I've been back for almost 4 months, and although I live so far away from so many people that I love and care about, my family is here, and there are greater opportunities here than anywhere else right now. Plus, let's talk chinooks for a second: a chinook is a warm wind that comes over the mountains. Chinooks usually happen in the middle of a cold snap, and are a common occurrence in Calgary. For instance, the other day it was -26C. Tonight, when I was walking home at midnight, it was 9C. I wasn't scared walking home tonight...The wind was warm, the snow is melting, and the air smelled like what I hope the air smells like in heaven.

Work was very easy tonight. It was the store's 11th anniversary, and when I arrived, they told me I'd be the hostess for the evening. However, they had not informed me of this prior to my arrival, so I was dressed in my normal clothes. They decided that it would be better if I looked a bit fancier, so this one girl that lives right beside the store runs to her house to get me an outfit. She brought back several dresses, and the store's management decided that they would like to see me in the dress that looked most like a prom dress. So, my job tonight was to hang out in a prom dress and give customers wine glasses for eight hours.

I laughed a lot tonight at work. The following is an actual exchange of words between my friend Nikki and a customer (I actually have friends at work now...It's so exciting!):

The scene: There are two girls on the cash registers, Jaymie and Nikki. Jaymie has 4 people lined up, and Nikki has no one. Nikki tries to call a younger girl and her friend to her till.

Nikki: I can help you over here!
Girl: No thanks, we don't like your till.

(Nikki looks over at me and makes a face....The girl was so rude to Nikki. The girl and her friend begin to exit the store, but spot our bulletin board with a picture of a guy that we caught shoplifting.)

Girl: (looking at photo) Who's this?
Nikki: Your dad.

(Girl leaves store, and everyone, including managers, cracks up). Man, it was classic.

So, from what I hear, Jon and Rob won't be joining us for another summer at sunny Camp Awosting. This makes me sad, but I'm also happy for them, as they are going to teach in Taiwan. I think Nicole and I know what we have to do...We need to step into the role, and be the craziest canadians we can possibly be. So far, it's just Nicole, Jared, Chris, and I going for sure this year, although Melony e-mailed me and said that she's pretty sure she'll be there. I'm already looking forward to another great summer in the photo cabin.

I mailed packages for Nicole and Matt D today, some pretty great stuff inside.

Gonna eat some pasta, download some Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and have a bath before bed. Night!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

saweet! I'm pumped! :) Mail is great! And it will arriving just as I am getting home from school! :) Nice timing! :)

This could be an intersting summer...we have big shoes to fill but I think we are ready Sarah.... we need something extra special for July 1st!

~n