Saturday, December 18, 2004

Sometimes walking home isn't fun.

Tonight, my walk home was extra scary. I've just started to be a bit more comfortable with my late-night trek, but tonight was not a good time. I usually walk for nine blocks on a busy road, then walk 7 blocks on a quiet street. Normally, on the busy street, I don't pass by many other people. Tonight, it seemed like there was a million people out, and every second one was a crazy hobo that just broke out of prison. On my walk down the quiet street, I normally don't see many cars, and the cars I see just speed right past me. Tonight, there was a ton of cars out, and all of them were slowing down when they passed by me. As well, two different cars pulled up right in front of me and parked. I half-expected the people to jump out and kidnap me. I really should have taken a cab tonight.

Today, Jared signed a contract to be the Waterfront Director at Chinqueka. We'll all miss him so much this summer, but I bet he'll have a great experience. When I arrived in Connecticut two years ago, I thought I was going to be teaching at Chinqueka. It turned out that I would be at Awosting for the summer. I didn't realize what a wonderful experience it would be. If anything, I have more respect for Jared now than ever. After my two summers at Awosting, I don't know if I could make the switch to Chinqueka. I've taught myself how to deal with little boys, and I'm not sure I'd know how to properly deal with all of the little girls. I'm not saying that I couldn't do it, but I don't think I'd flourish in the same way as I do at Awosting. Teaching and living at a camp that is predominantly of the opposite sex is certainly a learning experience...My two summers at the boy's camp taught me more about the male gender than all of my other years on the planet combined.
I, for one, am really proud of Mr. Hubschman.

I'm just about to go to bed, but before I do, I think some appreciation is long overdue to two important things in my life....When I get home from work, I'm hungry. Not just a little bit hungry, either. Really, really hungry. I need nourishment and refreshment like you would not believe. Without further ado, I'd just like to thank Eggo waffles for never letting me down, and Minute Maid for making such consistently delicious juice. You guys mean more to me than you'll ever know.

Night!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second that! I think a good decision has been made! :) I also agree that working at the boys camp has been and continues to be an amazing learning experience.

My dad switched to coaching girls soccer when I was 11, at first it was odd, but he eventually loved it! and we learned a lot from him and he from us.

Prehaps this will help Jared in his endeavors with the opposite sex! hahaha lol Just kidding Jared !!
~n

p.s. Manchester United just scored! yay! hahaha

~sarah p. said...

Did it ever really help me with members of the opposite sex? It always seemed to me like Chinqueka girls must have this amazing allure, 'cause Awosting girls are apparently not where it's at in the dating game (and there have been some wicked hot CLC members, trust me).

~sarah p. said...

I guess it's the price you pay for being part of the hottest cabin in Ebner Camps Inc history. Right?

Anonymous said...

agreed lol
~n